Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I need some blog therapy






So where to start. Things are finally starting to wind down from our travels although we are far from having everything all together. I really just need to get some thoughts out and I know most people have millions of questions and are dieing to know what our experience has been like. I will get through as much as I can tonight but have to continue later.



First off though, I have to admit I am struggling a bit right now. I know I will be fine and pushing through will get me to where I want to be, but it's a bit more of a transition than I expected quite frankly. I was so confident that since there would be no language barrier and Aussies seem to be such a friendly people, and the military moving us that pieces would just magically fall into place and we would be good. Reality is pieces are falling into places, just not in my time table (you would think by now I would have learned that lesson) but when they do fit into place, it feels right which keeps me trucking along. I thought that since the church would be the same here I would meet people quickly and start doing things with other moms and women right off. I forgot that sometimes ward boundaries span an entire large urban city where it's hard to get together on a whim and meet up. So while Erik and I and sometimes Lin have been busy exploring and checking out cool sights and places and had a blast, I am missing the outlet of talking with other women on a regular basis. I literally feel like I have mounds and heaps of conversation drumming around in my mind waiting to chat with some one. I will get there, we went to a mum's group (playgroup) today for our ward which was great and hopefully that will help.




Not all aussie's like americans and so I find out in public I try not to speak and give myself away before I can tell or guess what someone will think of me. I talk quieter to Erik and it's kind of silly actually but honestly I stand out like a sore thumb. I came with Cali wear a.k.a Jeans and t-shirts. And while I thought exercise clothes were the norm. I was wrong, it just so happens there is a gym in the shopping center we frequent. So norm for women here is more formal....think business casual kind of....lots of european influence....lots of black....lots of dark and muted colors. Now imagine me in my ripped jeans, bright t-shirts, and american accent. Now do you understand why I stick out? Luckily we live in an area with lots of young Uni students (college kids) and they usually seem to be a bit more open minded and wide eyed. So around the neighborhood I am more comfortable than out in the city. And now not everyone dislikes us, just some and they are not rude or mean, they just are short, curt, and you can just tell they are not the most fond. We actually started realizing it as we dealt with real estate agents who were showing us apartments. I am pretty sure we missed out on some because we were american, but luckily we ended up finding what will suit us best in the end anyways.



Lots of you want to know our new place looks like and the area we live. Well the above picture is our complex and the awesome pool that is there. There is also a fully equipped gym so I am stoked about that. There are tiled pathways so Erik can ride a trike around our balcony is big enough that we plan on it being our dining room/more lounge space. We are lucky to have a space to put three bar stools across so inside we can eat as well. There is actually enough room inside that we could put a table in there, but it will be less crowded and most of the year you can eat outside. Lindsay's co-worker has a large balcony and they actually mounted their tv out there and that is their family room. We got a two bedroom two bath place. We really wanted three bedrooms but just couldn't find what we were looking for. Our building is on the river basically. There is one building in between our and the river but you can see downtown and the river from our balcony. Some people might think we are crazy after the floods that just happened to live on the river, but honestly I think we will be ok. If it were to flood again, I am sure that we would probably be evacuated (so 72 hour kits will be made and ready quickly after we actually get the keys to move in next week) but our apartment is high enough that I don't think we will have to worry. And realistically its all just stuff. It really sunk in with this move that our posessions are just material and we can do without if needed. Not to say it's not fun to fancy up things or shop but in the end we don't take it with us.



We will definitely take pics next week once we get there. On the river where we will live is a city cat stop (ferry) so it will still be super easy for little man and I to get around and he loves all the city transit, mostly I think because he doesn't have to be in a car seat and he likes swiping my pass on the way in and out.



I was a little disappointed when we moved here to find out that the discount store in our shopping center was k-mart. I thought I was rid of that place in T-town California, but oh no, it has come back to haunt me. Lindsay's and my joke is to sing a little jingle whenever we had to head to kmart "kmart fall apart, had to poop but could only fart." I know not the most appropriate but pretty much summed up our feelings toward the place. Now I have to admit, I did shop there when needed, but in t-town where prices were already high, kmart boosted them up even higher. And sorry to say ladies that are still in T-town but the prices that are here are about the same here. I wish there were a different store, but at least I know that I can still get my basic needs by the place and its close.




1 comment:

Wendy said...

I'm so sorry to hear K-Mart followed you out there. I feel the same way about Wal-Mart. If we ever get out of this town I'm going to try and never go there again.
I hope the transition starts to go easier for you. They are always hard even if you are expecting them. It's fun to hear about Oz!