Friday, March 27, 2009

Wait for it....

Today many thoughts surround me. I have been anticipating this post all week but know that as I write emotions will stir and so I have needed to wait until I was ready to deal more intimately with them to post.



You see this last month has been for much growth myself.....I feel. Actually the last couple weeks have been the most. I feel like I have been in a huge adjustment phase with the whole adoption, parenthood, and life thing.


This little man has brought out so much joy in us and strength and talents that I didn't know existed yet. But he has also stirred some deep rooted pain in me. I tell you this to give you my perspective on infertility and adoption. When we first started the adoption process, at the first "consultation" appointment which was more like a counseling session the social worker surprised me by talking more about our infertility than adoption. I was thrown off guard, I sobbed, I was embarrassed, I was relieved. Someone could help us get through and give us insight to this trial we will forever deal with. I remember that he said that adoption does NOT cure infertility. That made total sense. He was not the only one to tell us this, other social workers and friends alike who have experienced or been close to those who have adopted know this. Adoption is also not the last resort to parenthood, it is a CHOICE. Lindsay and I prayed about adoption, if this was the will of our Heavenly Father to expand our family. We received that confirmation.



I knew that a baby wouldn't cure my infertility issues, but I also thought that becoming a parent would distract me enough away from it, that I could kind of push it out of my mind. Naive thinking if you ask me....or maybe wishful. So we come back to the present time, Erik has been with us for almost 2 months and recently he has stirred the old unwelcome visitor a bit. Seeing his precious innocence and amazing nature reminds me not only how lucky Lindsay and I are to be a part of his life and this miracle, but also that I may never co-create with God and carry a child in my womb. Please do not misunderstand this post as not being thankful for our little man, because I think in the end, it makes us appreciate him that much more. But I hurt for the experience of being pregnant, of delivering, of feeling a spirit move inside me. To bring such a gift to Earth...I have no idea what exactly S's journey has been like but my pain about not carrying a child has helped me to appreciate her experience of placing Erik into our home after doing those things I have not.



Dealing with some of this pain lately has been good for me though, to look at the silver lining.....I feel much more bonded to Erik than I did before. You see, Lindsay bonded with him almost instantly, and while I was so excited about that because I wasn't quite sure how he would react I was wanting the same thing. Bonding has come a bit slower for me, not like I haven't loved our son but it has been coming in steps. I think my hard recently have helped me grow closer to his little spirit and now I just enjoy every bit of him. I feel like my bond to him is growing each day. It's been hard because a lot of moms around me, their infants need them exclusively for feeding, but I am not needed in that way, and since we had so much help in the beginning, I didn't feel as strong as an urge towards him as I wanted or expected.

But perseverance pays off.....I am constantly working on trying to do things that would help me. I think it has been going rather nicely. Lindsay and I have been working with Erik to get more of a routine down. And it's not so much about getting things done at specific times of day but doing everything in the same order so Erik knows what to expect next has helped. I do the whole night during the week when Lindsay works and he helps on the weekends, unless Erik is having a particularly troubled night. And I think that spending lots of wee morning hours feeding and holding and then having him want to be held by me still in the morning has been a great success. When he needs me is when I feel the bond become more cemented.



Adoption is very unique, for those who have been a part of been close to those who have been a part knows that it is a roller coaster. And it seems that the lows are more low. but in exchange the highs are more high. What a wonderful blessing! It makes me think about how to experience such sweetness we must go through the prickly painful part. The rule of opposites that we learn about in the scriptures, we can't have one without the other. For if we only experienced good things we would never really know how good they were or appreciate them, but when we have the bad with the good......then we partake of the most sweetest things and and enjoy them.

So that is my deep thoughts for a while. On a lighter note but still on the adoption front... my surprise......... have you heard of "the r house?" If not you should check it out. There is a link on the right hand side of my blog. Especially sometime soon as I have been asked to a guest blogger! Not sure when it will happen....I will let you know, but I am working on everything and am so excited! Mrs. r is a huge adoption advocate and has two sweet little boys who have come to their family through adoption. Her blog rocks!



Even Erik thinks so! If you check out her thurs. march 26th post you can click on the link of the video slideshow and hear a birth mother tell a part of her story with pictures of her placement. So cool! And I will remind or inform those that may not know that Birth Mother's day is the saturday before Mother's day!

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Backwoods Browns said...

I am so glad you have a bright outlook on the whole situation.
Yes,you didn't carry and birth this child BUT you also have a divine roll in this life to help care and nurture children that might not have had the life that they deserve for whatever reason.You are still a Mother and that is a great role to be!! Thank goodness for selfless people such as "S" that was willing to give Erik to you!!It is such a blessing to have such wonderful people like you 2, to be able to take care of such a beautiful spirit!!I am thankful that you have chosen to help give another baby a great life, especially in the Gospel!! Adoption,like you said, is a choice,and so I would say that you 2 are also selfless for choosing to bring a child into your home to have all the really highs and lows and to give of yourselves so freely and to also allow the growth that comes from having a child in your home.I gather through your post that infertility is a hard trial to go through in this life.I'm glad you are filled with so much love and faith to be able to handle it so well. Thank you though for being such a wonderful couple and taking on such a beautiful life changing event as adopting a baby!! It is not only a blessing for you but also for that dear sweet child that has 2 wonderful parents that will give him a wonderful family life filled with love and happiness! You both are truly a blessing for Erik!! I know this was long but I really think you 2 are so wonderful.
Adoption is such a sweet blessing and I can't wait to check out the other blog that you are to join !!

Cassie said...

I don't think it is just you sommer! Motherhood brings many emotions especially in the beginning that have probably amplified specific other emotions for you. Does that makes sense? Even though I didn't bottle feed Hallie at times I yearned for Mitch to have more a part of it cuz I just needed space or time to myself. I have grown alot in the last 9 months and understand motherhood so much better! Your little man was 100% meant to be in your family and Heavenly Father is who made it all work out! I look back on my whole pregnancy and birthing situation and the absolute best moment in all of it was holding the baby for the first time and letting her look into my eyes. You got to in a sense fast forward to that MOST amazing moment. As Erik continues to grow you will develop more of a connection with him for sure as he starts to recognize you. You are a very patient person Sommer and I look up to you for that! Hang in there and know that with Heavenly Father nothing is impossible. When do you guys get sealed to Erik?

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts about the adoption process, and I love that last picture of your little man. What a cutie!

Cory and Becca said...

your little man is adorable!...
I am with you sister...motherhood in general as well as adjusting to becoming a proud adoptive mommy has definately taken me a ride through a bit of "culture shock"...it has stretched me more then I ever imagined but isn't that what we need in order to meet the full potential for the "measure of our creation"? :) It definately makes the sweet moments just that much more tender..
..Erik definately deserves you guys and we are definately lucky we have our little angels aren't we? :)

Ylfe said...

Hi Sommer - I got your blog address from Cristin. I hope it's okay with you. I have really enjoyed reading your posts. You and Lindsay are so amazing. This last post has touched my heart as you have been so open and honest about your feelings about adoption and infertility. I don't know the pain of infertility, but I do know the tremendous emotions that come with becoming a mother and continuing to be a mother. Bonding with my babies has been very individual with each of them and hasn't always been right away even though I gave birth to them. Orion cried for the first 3 months of his life and didn't smile until he was 10 weeks old. That was really hard for me, especially trying to take care of the other two as well. I wasn't sure if he was happy in our family and if I was being a good mother. It was a challenge to bond with him even though I loved him to pieces. But after awhile I felt very bonded to him and he's still a very snuggly guy to this day. And I notice the bonding thing has to happen regularly as my kids have gotten older. It takes constant effort for me to feel a close relationship with each of them. And really the pregnancy, birth, and nursing part are just a very small part of a child's life in the whole scheme of things. You are the one who will do all the REALLY important stuff in his life. As challenging as pregnancy is,(I'm so happy mine is almost done!) the real work doesn't begin until the baby is born. You are beginning that challenging/precious work right now with your Erik. You are a wonderful mom. There is such a great spirit about you and Lindsay. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you better and have our little boys play together as they get older.
Ylfelynn

Chris Grover said...

i am soooo, soooo glad and proud of you for having the courage to share such deep-rooted personal feelings on infertility and adoption. it is something that i feel like i could talk for HOURS about sometimes and at other times, it is so tender and deep in my heart that i can't seem to find the words. so it's a wonderful blessing to know people like you who can put into words what is in so many of our hearts. i remember having soooo many of those exact emotions after we adopted our daughter. it was this combination of such extremes -- extreme joy to finally have a long-awaited child, but still experiencing the deep pain of infertility. even when you become a mother, the desires of having the WHOLE experience never really leave you. the interesting thing, for me, was when i found out i was pregnant, i actually went through a strange period of feeling a loss at not being able to adopt again for awhile. it is such a roller coaster, no matter where you are at on the journey. just know that you are NOT alone in your emotions and feelings. it is a special little "club" we get to be in and to share with each other and i'm grateful that i have come into contact with such amazing people like you. thanks again for sharing and i'm so grateful for the experiences you have had with your new son. they will just continue to get better and more significant!

Jarom & Corinne said...

Sommer, I love you to death! I am so greatful to read your feelings and thoughts that you have on infertility and adoption. I have never really been able to express my emotions so openly. But i thank you for doing it, it makes me not feel so alone! I find my self reading this post over and over again and find great streangth in your writing. You have a way with words that i will never have, please keep on shareing them. Sometimes i think you take the feelings right out of my heart and but them on to paper. You are such an inspiration to me. Thank you again for sharing your feelings i know that its not easy, but i hope you know you are touching peoples lifes by doing so. Congrats on being a guest on the "mrs.r" blog i love reading the stories and cant wait to hear yours again in more detail. Love ya tons, corinne

chelsea mckell said...

as always... your writing style is so moving - so honest and heartfelt. A joy to read. Thanks for sharing (and thanks to the other commenters to - I enjoyed and learned from their responses!)