Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tree Schmee



That's right....I am having one heck of a time with ours cooperating with us this year. Last year I just had a little fake table top tree that I loved because our house was so little and there wasn't room but also Lindsay was deployed and was maybe going to make it home on Christmas eve, so I didn't want too much stuff up. I had borrowed the tree from my mom, so this year I told Linds that's what I wanted to do again, cause I ended up really enjoying the little tree. Well we went to Kmart (it's the only "real" store in our town besides home depot) to see what they had to offer. They had a few that were outrageously priced so we said no to that. So we were trying to decide if we should wait for a trip into the city or buy a normal size live tree. Lindsay decided he would rather have a live tree because we get the yummy smell and when it came to moving out of our house we wouldn't have to worry about packing up a fake tree and toting it around from place to place. So we buy it and pick it out and then it occurs to me.......hmmmm..................all we have is our little car with no racks and no rope or twine. How are we going to get this home? Lindsay being the total adventure man that he is says "I will just hold it" I am thinking..are you kidding me? He is not kidding, I ask him how he plans on doing that and he replies with "you will drive and roll down your window, you will hold onto the top of the tree from your seat and I will sit in the back passenger seat and hold the back. I just smile and laugh but know deep down inside that is exactly what is going to happen. I however do not have much faith in myself, driving and holding on! It's a stick shift! I would need three hands for that. Luckily the drive is short and I tried to take neighborhood roads the whole way so we didn't have to go fast but there were a couple times I thought it was a goner.

So that is adventure no.1.....now we have to get it into the house and in the stand. Should be no big deal right? wrong? the sucker has a larger trunk than it should, not by much but just enough to make it bothersome. Lindsay had already cut off some of the lower branches and things and brought it in the house, I set up the stand so we tried to just plop it in and there was no plopping. So then we lay it down on the carpet (yuck!) and I find a hand saw from our camping stuff and we saw off some stuff hoping it will work. It almost does and we call it good. The tree isn't sitting all the way to the bottom but its standing and working.

Fast forward a few days....it's been sitting waiting to be decorated in our front window and looking pretty, it's really a nice looking tree, I think its cocky though, it didn't want to leave the tree farm. I come home from a friend's house on Sunday and ms. Sadie dear has chewed bottom branches and knocked it over spilling the water, pulled off the tree skirt that was protecting her from drinking the water and triumphantly peed on it 10 ft. away. Those two are in cahoots with each other.

I pick it up, adjust it as much as I can and last night I finally decided to put lights and ornaments on mr. cocky tree. I am so happy that it went smoothly, I enjoyed pulling out the ornaments and remembering where they came from (mostly from my parents who have given me one every year for the last 10 years and from our wedding-2 weeks before christmas). I vacuum up the last bit of stuff on the floor and go to tackle another project and seriously less than 5 minutes later I heard ornaments falling and breaking! Yikes--

I am ready to throw the tree in the backyard and let Sadie brawl it to it's death. The dumb thing has now spilled again, with tree trimmings on the ground, it's twisted in the stand and I don't have the strength to make it right so this is how it is in my house now. Well I have since cleaned the water and vacuumed again. It is waiting for a boxing match with Lindsay.


I even remembered to be smart and not put ornament in the bottom few feet of the tree so that the dogs wouldn't bother the tree too much. But Mr. Cocky tree has a mind of his own, he doesn't like our house-and I don't like him!

6 comments:

Woodrich Family said...

I don't mean to laugh, but that's pretty funny. Of course, it wouldn't be nearly as humorous if it had happened to me. Hopefully, Lindsay is able to put it in its place! Good Luck!

Cristin said...

When I was in college we transported a tree by holding our hands out of the sun roof. Cold, but effective.

Cassie said...

sorry about the tree we still have a tiny 12 inch tree and that is all! I can't wait to get a real tree someday! Also congratulations on the adoption stuff!! I just read all your posts on it since I am a little behind on blogging and I am sooo excited for you guys! I love the pack n play it is perfect! Keep us posted on everything.

chelsea mckell said...

oh wow.... great story! And to be continued, right?

Reminds me of my family's last year having a live tree... it had fallen over twice, my mom was so sick of cleaning up fallen needles and watering and all that.... my dad gave her a present she still uses today: a high quality artificial tree. You can even buy spray-on pine scent for them! They are totally balanced, store well in the basement, and fire-proof... though I'm not sure if they're dog-proof =)

Moon Family said...

You know a half a tree would solve all of your problems. The box is not big, it does not take up to much space, and the dogs wont want to eat or pee on it. As far as getting that pleasant smell you guys enjoy, you could just hang a fir scented air freshner somewhere in the tree where it can not be seen. Plus then you could be a cool as us! JK. Now that I have solved your tree problem, do not ask me where to get one. We are lucky to have someone just rent one to us every year! ;) I loved reading this blog. I could picture the whole thing. Love ya!

Backwoods Browns said...

That just stinks, what did you do to tick that tree off? It's a war now!! I can't believe that your dog peed on it! Haha it's so funny! I probably shouldn't laugh because I am not so sure what our dog is going to do with ours! It's all new to her also!! I would have set it on the porch and told my hubby that we'll open gifts outside! :)