Monday, February 2, 2009

A most perfect day for our little family!

All right our little bundle of bliss has arrived!!!!! This morning at about 7:30 we got a call from S's mom that S delivered the moon babe at around 6:45. Both were doing great and S was getting ready to shower and fill out some legal paperwork so that we could come visit and help take care of the moon babe. We were told we would get another phone call in a bit later telling us when it was ok for us to go to the hospital to visit our new addition. (I know you are all dieing to know what gender and the name but I am going to make you keep reading to find out!) So we tried to sleep for a bit longer since we had slept little due to watching the super bowl which started airing at midnight! But knowing that our little one had arrived was painful in trying to get any type of relaxing done.

So I jumped in the shower and packed up our stuff to check out of our hotel because we had to switch our rooms to accomodate the moon babe. Lindsay didn't want to wait at all so we didn't even check out we just left for the other base as soon as we got word. When we got to the hospital we weren't quite sure what to expect, we knew that we were visiting with both S and the moon babe and we were excited for this. I thought I was going to be a ball baby but I just got a little teary walking in. S had some soft music playing and she is such a relaxed and put together person anyways that we all fell into a nice casual relaxed conversation. Lindsay and I got some copies of the paperwork we would need, I got to put on a "parent" wrist band that matched the babies and Lindsay held our new..........................SON for the first time! It was very heartwarming and undescribable really. He was a little over 7 pounds and 21 inches long, his name is Erik James.

We continued to visit and take pictures and such and then left S to spend more time with Erik and fill out more paperwork (pretty much it's never ending). We came back a few hours later when he had been moved into the nicu until he is released into our custody. Tomorrow we fill out more papers and we will get to stay at the hospital with Erik until he is released on wednesday to leave the hospital with us. When we had come back to the hospital we spent lots of time just staring at him, rocking him, gazing into his dark hazel blue eyes, and then we got to feed and diaper him. It was our dreams coming into fruition! I haven't really shed too many tears yet but writing this out is getting them going......man. THis afternoon was one of the most blissful I have ever had. Spending time with Erik helped me start to feel bonded to him and all I can think about is when we get to go back. I feel blessed that the hospital is going to let us stay there tomorrow night so that we can be there constantly.

If all goes well we will be heading back to the states this weekend to spend lots of quality time with our families! We can't wait for little one to meet his cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents for the first time! He is such a mellow and relaxed baby....I totally think he got that from S and for that we are grateful! He didn't cry at all when we changed him or played with him....I think we got super lucky with everything!

All right, spread the word-the Moon family has officially expanded! Love you all and we will keep in touch as things continue to happen in our happy lives. Also please continue to pray for S and her recovery as we could not be parents without her and her selfless sacrifice!

Sommer

21 comments:

bekki said...

Congrats! I'm so happy for you both and know you will be great parents. What an amazing person S is for giving so much of herself. She will be blessed

Patsfield Family Photos said...

Yeah, Congratulations, can't wait to see pictures!

Unknown said...

Sommer and Lindsay!!

At last!!! What a beautiful gift Erik is. Sommer, Cathy Doran sent me the good news I can't wait to see pictures. Joy! Joy! Joy!

Love, Kellie Wisner-Bardwell :)
kelwisner@gmail.com

Esther said...

How exciting! I am so happy for you guys!
We'll keep S in our prayers, and hope she can be comforted.

Cory and Becca said...

Happy Birthday moon baby! Congrats!! ....how very very exciting!!!

Jarom & Corinne said...

Congrats, what a dream come true to have sweet little baby in your family. The first Grandson! Take care, cant wait to see some pictures! Love, ya!

Woodrich Family said...

I love that it's a boy! We just love boys at our house! Congratulations and our biggest hugs to you. We can't wait to see your new little family when you get home. Love lots.

Unknown said...

hurray a little boy, so fun! I love the name you chose and i am so happy for you.

Jon and Maryanne said...

Congrats!!! That is soooo awesome!
I can't wait to see pictures! :) Hope you guys have a safe trip back! :)

Cristin said...

Congrats! The story made me cry. I can't wait to see pictures and meet your new little boy. What an amazing sacrifice S has made.

Cassie said...

congratulations!!! That is so exciting! We are happy for you and can't wait to see pics!

Allison said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Backwoods Browns said...

Oh Sommer I am so happy and excited for you two!! What a blessing a little boy is!! I am so excited to see pictures! I was all teary eyed and sniffly just reading about it! It is such a great responsibility and the most amazing sense of joy ever to be a parent!! Congratulations!

chelsea mckell said...

seriously, I get so emotional reading your story! This is truly amazing. I'm going to have to remind myself to have tissues near the computer when I check out your blog.

Jill said...

I'm dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you. I hope the rest all falls into place without any hiccups. I can't wait to see pix and hear more stories! Congrats. Relish the moment :)
xoxo

Sarah said...

I got goosebumps reading your story. Congratulations on your baby boy, what a miracle for your family!

Celine said...

Hi Sommer! I've never commented on your blog before but I knew Lindsay from back in high school in Spokane. I'm so excited for you guys and your new baby boy. And I love that you named him Erik (I was good friends with Erik in high school as well). Congratulations and I can't wait to see pictures :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Lindsay and Sommer,

You know how happy we are for you both. I know you will be terrific parents. Also, thank you for the gift you gave to us. Can't wait to see pictures!

Love,

Chuck and Ilona

Anonymous said...

I think I have cried for days...the way things turn out in life...you learn something everyday. I must admit I found this bitter sweet...my heart aches to love someone you never even met, and to know you never will...I could not understand the process of this at first...but I do now...y'all sound like amazing God sent angels who will give the world to Erik James. I cry now because I finally understand and accepted what was meant to be. I know the decision to share this blessing with your family was an excellent decision. When I called my mother upset when I first read your blog she said...”Well dear, it is best that a couple who are already in love with the child, who already are treating the child as if they gave life themselves are going to be the ones providing a home for him, do not agree??? I sighed and she said...”Anyone could have became parents to this wonderful baby but this couple right here (as she pointed to your picture) will be more then parents; they will be leaders, givers, providers, they will love this child with their heart and souls...from reading the blogs it seems as if they always have, even from day one.” So, all in all...she is right, and this is not just a good decision working out; it is what was meant to happen all along. This child is going to be an amazing, strong, goofy, crazy, and care free spirited child...you guys will always be in my prayers, and little Erik James will always be loved universally. Reading your journey to the end was amazing, nerve wrecking, truly a blessing, a gift from God, and I am really truly deeply happy for you both. Congratulations to the both of you, and I am glad she did more then find a couple that was likeable, she found a couple that was out right loveable; who are truly worthy and outstanding people, to share the blessing with.

Truly,
*An Aunt at Heart; A Million Miles Away*

Unknown said...

Congratulations!! This time is precious, I think I have cried more about those first few days this last month then I did when it happened, so many feelings. There is nothing like an adoption miracle. Good Luck with the traveling and may your family and S find the peace and joy you all deserve.

Carlotta said...

I realize how connected I am to adoption when I read others stories especially when they write about the birth mom , placement and the anticipation of everything. I do breath a sigh of relief knowing that even though the journey is fresh that Erik's birth mom will be ok with time. It truly is the most amazing healer. At the same time my stomach flips knowing your greatest dream has come true. How wonderful!!! What exciting adventures await you and oh the joy is only beginning. Kids are amazing.