Tuesday, March 20, 2012

paint the rainbow

One particular day Erik and I were getting on each others nerves. Usually a good sign that we are both in need of some good stimulation and/or breath of fresh air. So I decided to fill a muffin tin with the cheapest shaving cream from the market, color each hole with a different color using food coloring and let the kid go to town.

 We started out on the balcony (fresh air), he knew a mess was to be had and he got to get down to his skivvies, which eventually turned nude. All the better for his taste!
 So I have the huge roll of paper you can get at IKEA, totally useful for many things I have found. He was a bit unsure at the very beginning, but you could tell he was more nervous he was going to get in trouble (I would never keep on his case about not making messes :)
I, however was getting more anxious by the moment about the mess, but didnt want to stop the fun or creativity, so I had the genius idea of taking off the undies so they wouldnt get stained, and moving the whole activity to his bath tub. There the mess was contained to an easily cleaned area, and he could go at it to his hearts content. Both of us were much happier.



Are you sure this okay mom?
Ahh, master in practice!

partial masterpiece with a fake smile
 
And then, to be honest I think this part was by far his favorite and the squirt bottle has stayed as a permanent tub toy. After he used all the cream, I gave him the squirt bottle so that he could shoot it all off. I closed the doors and then of course he was trying to shoot me through the glass. So although the painting was fun, the shooting was MUCH more fun!

*note to those who may now try this: His tub/shower is white tiles, the colored cream did stain the white grout a bit. As soon as I got him out I just sprayed my shower cleaner on it, let it sit for a minute and took an old toothbrush to scrub.....came right up! It made me nervous for a minute though. So I will do it again but will remember to crub right away again.

All in all perfect cure for a boring day. It was a great activity that got some his energy out, I was able to get a couple things done while checking in on him and we both came out happier. Success!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

This is a great idea. My kids would go nuts and LOVE spraying down the shower too.

The Holden Family said...

he's sooo cute! what a great idea. :)