Thursday, October 1, 2009

back in the glory days

I am totally freaking out right now. I am so nervous I am trying to continously give myself a pep talk so that I don't puke. You see.........well when I was in high school I was a dancer. I loved it, it was my passion, I loved competing and the art of it all. I quit when I was 16 for various reasons, one being not having confidence that I would be able to dance in college or make a career of it. Honestly I think I was right. At the time it was a huge deal to quit.......I remember calling the dance studio owner to let her know and as soon as I said that I wasn't going to be back in the fall I just started bawling, I was choosing to stop doing my passion. I know it's crazy.

Anyhow fast forward 10 years and I have been given an amazing opportunity to dance again in the studio. How could I not try it out and get back into something I love so much? I have a friend who is a studio owner here and would like me to be a substitute teacher for when needed, I told her I would be interested only if I could take classes and brush up my rusty inner dancer. So last week I went and observed a class to see if it would be an appropriate level to get into. Tonight I attend my first class as a student.

First off let me air my worries so that when I go I may feel a bit better.
- I will be a woman in her mid twenties with teenage girls.
- I used to have skill and now I don't. Trust me I don't......I tried to do turns in my kitchen the last two days I have just about died of dizziness. Not sure how that will work.
- I used to be flexible, now not so much.
- Did I mention I will be at least 10 years older than these girls? And I "was" a dancer......no pressure, now I will look I have never taken a class in my life!

I am so nervous. I am sure it will go fine. I know I will be continously discouraged over these next few months as I work on gaining back old skills, I know my butt will get whipped into shape as I leap, turn, and boogie my way on the dance floor, I know my passion will grow again and I will be so glad that I am trying this out. But at this very moment I can't help but think of excuses as to why I shouldn't go.

wish me luck!

Som

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sommer, you did great! I can't believe you were so worried:). See...now don't you feel better that you got your 1st class under your belt:). Well if not, you should!

DeAnne said...

that is so cool somer! i never knew that about you

Unknown said...

Yea! That sounds like so much fun. You'll be a great teacher, and I'm sure an inspiration to those girls!

Woodrich Family said...

That's so great! I have another friend, who is 30 by the way, who is going back to dancing after years away from it. I'm so proud of you! I hope you have lots of fun doing something you love!!

Andi Spinelli said...

Sommer,I am so proud of you. You did it and I am sure you did great. I wish I could have been there to watch. It brings back so many memories. Always follow your dreams and passions. Life's to short not to.