Monday, September 28, 2009

A house of Order

i am not sure what it is about having things organized and being prepared, but it just feels so good! I just finished figuring out next month's budget and it was like a weight came off my shoulders. I love knowing where every one of our dollars go and making sure that everything for that month will be taken care of. I love making the puzzle pieces fit!

I was introduced to Dave Ramsey's total money makeover by a friend (thank you Cristin) and lindsay and I implemented the plan about 4 months ago. We have hit a couple of rough patches but overall we have done way good and are making progress. And best of all it has been fairly easy. The hardest part has been limiting some of our spending habits, but when we see small steps being accomplished towards our big time goals......it makes it worth it. Ramsey's motto is "Live like no one else so later you can live like no one else." I have to remind myself that sometimes when I get caught up wanting to get lots of things but overall it hasn't been too bad. And it's also easy because we do everything that we can in cash. So each category has it's own envelope and we live off of cash all month. It makes it easier to see how much we have left and since we physically see it diminishing I feel like I make more thought out purchases.

I'll admit it was scary the first couple of times I went grocery shopping with cash. I have always spent around the same amount but still how embarassing if I went over my cash limit. I just make sure I always have a menu planned and a written list that I strictly follow and it has never been a problem.

I guess I am just telling you all that it feels good to have a plan and to follow advice that we have been given for years through leaders of our church about having a house of order and being prepared, because even in the tight months we can get a couple of extra cans of something and keep adding to our food storage while also adding to our emergency fund.

How do you all prepare? I am always up for suggestions or other people's experiences!

2 comments:

Cristin said...

Yay! I'm so excited that you are seeing progress on the Dave Ramsey plan. We've been doing it for a few years, and we STILL struggle with it sometimes, but you are right, it does feel so good to be putting things in order.

Allison said...

Well I was all excited to see everyone's comments on how they prepare but only 1 comment so far! One thing we do with water is each time we go to Costco we buy one pack of water bottles. They are just stacking up in our apartment but I feel better with them there. Plus Texas water tastes bad so having these will taste better in an emergency too.