Sunday, January 4, 2009

An new year awaits us...

Wow, the holidays were very different for us this year. They were good but different. To give a quick recap..... for Christmas Eve we were invited over to a family in our ward's house and had a big traditional dinner with about 5 families. After dinner the kids re-enacted Luke Chapter 2 and we sat and talked for a while and then played some cards. It was a lot of fun! When we got home Lindsay and I unwrapped our christmas eve gifts that are tradition from my parents which are pajamas and went to bed.

The next morning we woke up and opened our presents and stockings and lounged around and made breakfast. Well actually Lindsay made breakfast for me. His present to me this year was a very thoughtful handwritten letter with a bell attached. In the letter it said that all I had to do was ring the bell whenever I wanted that day and he would pamper me all day. It was the best! I got food prepared, and a back massage, my feet rubbed, kisses on demand...it is right up there with one of the best gifts ever!

Christmas evening we went to another friends house and had a more low key dinner and watched a movie. It was a nice relaxing day. There is something about not being around family though that took a little of the zing out. But we were able to talk to them on the phone and talk about how excited we are to see them next month with the moon babe. That's right we will be parents next month, can you believe it?

These last few weeks have been super nice! Lindsay has a had a few days off here and there and half days on other days, and we even had a snow storm here (we got about 4 inches). The funny part is that even the mojave desert got snow which is unheard of and the freeways and highways were closed from bakersfield to las vegas down to LA. I felt bad for travelers but it was nice to have Lindsay "stuck" at home!

For New years Lindsay and I opted to stay home and enjoy each others company. We have never been big new years fans, most years we have not even made it to midnight even with our best friends over, we all fell asleep waiting. To me its just another day in paradise...such the scrooge of new years I am! But later on New Years day we drove down to Northridge. We needed to stop by REI to see if they could fix my punctured down jacket, while we were down there we also stopped at JO-Ann fabrics which I always love and Babies 'r us. Below is our sweet new travel system!

I was so excited to find this one because I knew that I wanted a jogging stroller but didn't realize that I would be able to find a whole travel system. I thought I was going to have to get everything seperately. But this is Baby Trend and although we haven't tested it out with the moon babe yet......Lindsay did test it out at the store and I did once we got home. It works like a champ.
I can't believe that in less than a month we will be making our way to Germany and going through a new experience! Our lives will be changing from a couple to a couple of parents and we are so excited! Details continue to come together as we tie up loose ends to make this special miracle happen. I tell you our church headquarters personnel have been very efficient and so helpful! There are so many people making this adoption happen and everyone is so very important. We have people in the states and people in Europe and each is vital to this. Mostly I am excited to meet S in person and give her a warm embrace! I have started packing for our trip and each night I lay in bed thinking about if I have everything and the most efficient way to pack. Lindsay and I have gone over all different sorts of traveling scenarios in case S goes into labor early or if we stay in Germany longer than anticipated. I feel so prepared and yet there is only so much we can account for at this point. The insecurities of new parenthood have tried to rear their head quite often lately and I have been fighting them back with a vengeance! I know that we will have lots of help at first with parents coming to visit usand ward members available, but the adversary has a way of making us doubt ourselves doesn't he? (side note: I hear Lindsay in the nursery right now playing with the sounds and things on the pack n play.....it makes my heart melt!) I know I have the skills and the desire and the things I don't know, I know I can be taught and learn...Lindsay has been such a strength for me-he doesn't get stressed out or worried very often (Sorry, Lindsay is now reading a book to Boomer---he must be practicing!) so when I start to worry he just gives me the perfect reality check.
And since we didn't send out christmas cards as I want to send out something once the moon babe arrives. So let me give you a 2008 re-cap.
-I worked my way up to office manager at my work.
-We received our first pcs orders to our second military base-Edwards AFB
-We sold our first house
-We found homes for two dogs
-I was able to be a stay at home wife for the first time and I have loved it most of the time!
-We found out we will be parents!
-With the move came new callings at church....I was called surprise surprise to be in my fifth primary presidency, although this time I am the secretary which I have never been. Lindsay was a sunday school teacher but just a few weeks ago was called to be the Young Mens president. He is going to be a great leader!
-I learned how to make bread from scratch
-Lindsay reloaded lots of his own gun ammunition to go out and shoot with!
-We went on two backpacking trips
-We spent some vacation time in Las Vegas
All in all our year was good, we were very blessed and with all the bad even more good came out of it!

Oh and I almost forgot! On New years day the weather was gorgeous! We took Boomer to the dog park that morning for a couple of hours and then ate outside for lunch. It was crazy that it was January and people had flip flops (not many, it is still a bit chilly, but nice), no coats, eating outside............it's all so foreign to us! In Spokane they are having to shovel off their roofs each day because the snow wont stop. They have been considered in a state of emergency because the plows cant keep up and there is no where to put all the snow. Our poor families!
Love love,
Sommer

8 comments:

Woodrich Family said...

You are going to be such a great mom! Just remember to follow your instinct and pray for help when you don't know what to do. I'm glad you have nice weather. It's snowing as we speak. I heard we are supposed to get 8 more inches. I really don't know where it's supposed to go!! Hey, I'm anxious to hear if you learn any new Primary stuff. You're such a pro! Love ya!!

Backwoods Browns said...

Oh Sommer! You two are going to be great parents!! It is within all of us to have those parenting skills! Remember that no matter how many kids anyone has there will always be new tricks and things to learn!! You will do great! I can't believe you got snow down there! It sure is crazy! I am so excited for your new arrival and so glad you had a great Christmas!! Oh and if you think hearing your hubby play with the nursery sounds melts you now... Wait until you see him with that baby!! It brings such a new kind of love for each other once you become parents! So amazing and you two are so blessed to be able to experience it!! So happy for you....YAY!!!

chelsea mckell said...

We’re the same on New Years – boring married people. This was the first time in 4 years that I’ve stayed up til midnight! And I really wanted to just go to bed!
I know how you feel about doubting parenting abilities. I still do all the time – whenever Brianna cries and I don’t know what’s wrong. But we eventually figure it out. You’ll be awesome.
Yeah – be happy you’re not in Spokane! We were` there for Christmas – it’s just insane. I seriously felt like I was in Siberia.
Oh – seriously, you will love that whole travel system. I thought about it, but I had already been given a hand-me-down stroller and carseat. I wish I had splurged for the real deal!

Chris Grover said...

i so know the feelings you are feeling! but i can't tell you how excited i am about all that you are going to be experiencing in the very near future! meeting your birthmom, a new baby, parenthood! oh my goodness! and isn't it so fun to start buying all the fun odds and ends and to think that very soon, the sweetest little person will be using all of it?! so happy for you guys!

Our Happy Family said...

I found your blog through another blog. I love reading blogs of people that are adopting. My husband and I adopted our little girl over two years ago. Adoption is the most wonderful thing in the world. I wouldn't change our experience for anything. Congratulations!!!

Cory and Becca said...

I am so excited for you guys!! What a great journey you will experience together! :)

Moon Family said...

Your stroller looks just like ours! :) I dont know what you are worried about. You are going to be a great mom and Lindsay a great dad. Just hurry up and get over her so I can give you a pregnant lady hug! Oh yeah and there is no decision on the name yet.

Jon and Michelle said...

Sommer, that is the same stroller I have and I LOVE IT!! Every time I go walking I think how much I love it. Good choice!!