Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Our first known visitor

I say our first know because back in january we had someone who stayed with us for a week. His name was Scott, we met him at church and he was from the states and was here for leisure and work. We thought we could help him out and gave him Erik's bed for the week. It was fun getting to know him and trying some Aussie things we hadnt tried yet, like vegemite. While I dont hate the vegemite, I dont think I would ever crave it either. But I digress, maybe I will post about that soon.

So our first visitor that had made plans to come stay with us came in February! Yay! We were so excited! Matt came through Brissy on his way to and from backpacking in New Zealand. We didnt see him long but we had a lot of fun in those few days. I took him out to the koala sanctuary, we walked around our suburb and yes we took him to Chinatown for a scrumptios meal! And I think it's safe to say that he got a good fill up on Ginger Beer. Which by the way is not beer (kind of like how we have Root Beer), its like gingerale on steroids because its less sugary and has a bunch of real ginger that settles at the bottom you have to shake. Me not so much a fan, but Matty, well we kept him stocked up-he had consumed it previously and knew it was yummy to his tummy.

 The two men being goofy, neither would give me their real smiles because they were too busy catching up.
 Driving and loving having a friend here. Seriously Matt, you totally helped ease some homesickness, for me at least. It was so great to have you!

So we went to a nicer restaurant in China town that we had never been to before and it was AWESOME! It wasn't chinese but I can't remember which asian cuisine it was, just that it was good. It was a buffet where you order off a menu from a list of dishes. You just order a few at a time but can continue to order as long as you are hungry. You cook your own meats and veggies on the grill in the center of the table. And when the gril gets icky they come and replace it with a new one.
below is the seafood plate with calamari (my fave) and prawns from a local beach
We had some simple sushi rolls, edamame, dumplings, some type of fritter
 the fresh seasonal produce....pumpkin, zuchini, corn, onion, mushrooms
 chicken and corn cooking
mmmm makes me want to go back. It was a fun experience and good food. Definitely another must for next time we have visitors come.

1 comment:

Cristin said...

I read this and I want so badly to come visit you guys! We had Ginger Beer a bunch when we were in NZ, it wasn't half bad.