Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Squirmy eyes BEWARE

 Now before you look at these pictures be warned that they are gross and I am quite embarrassed to share them but it is life and thus it brings interest right? Or maybe since I am in quarantine I have nothing else to share with you.

SoI am guessing a good number have heard of the common childhood illness called..."hand foot and mouth disease." And if you have experienced this in your house your children were absolutely miserable and wouldn't eat and cranky. Now this is as I mentioned a childhood illness....most of the time adults don't contract it because they are already immune.

Now let me share my story...we have just moved (ok we have been hear nearly half a year now-CRAZY!) to Australia. My brother who is a pharmacist warned me that when we moved we would probably get sick quite a bit in the beginning even with all the shots the military mandated on us due to the foreign country having different strains of viruses and bacteria. --- well the good news, we always need to look at the silver lining right. While usually I prefer Erik to be sick rather than me, just due to the fact that I can take care of him easier than if I am sick and trying to entertain a two year old...I am so glad I GOT SICK this time.  I got the hand foot and mouth disease and I am glad. It is PAINFUL! I have new empathy for all little ones who have it. I dont want to eat although I am starving.....due to this monster sore (among other ones not pictured)
I don't want to utter another word by the end of the day because it hurts to talk, and drink, and swallow, BUT at least I understand what is going on and can force myself to do what I need to.


These are not great pictures but these are pics of what the little blisters on my fingers and feet look like. They started out as red dots and are now turning into small blisters. They itch a little but are sore to touch. I am hoping they dont pop-that is one way the virus spreads and thus will keep Erik from getting this nasty bug.
There is nothing I can do for it, but just wait it out at home so I don't infect anyone else. Funny thing is, there are a number of nursery kids from Erik's church class with it, he managed to escape it and I got it. NOT complaining this time, I can't imagine taking care of him in this much pain. Especially since I otherwise feel fine, I have full energy and would eat a horse if it didn't hurt so much. So this time around although I am really suffering, I am so glad I got sick. Hoping the symptims will go away soon so we can get back into play dates and the normal fun we participate in. And just so you all know this disease is NOT the one linked to livestock. Has a similar name but is different.

Hoping none of you ever has to experience this virus...or your poor little ones.

Tips for those who inevidably will..

-Don't force the food, it hurts and there is nothing more your child wants than food...It's like being teased.
-Don't pop the blisters
-Popsicles although not healthy feel really good on the mouth sores
-As does yogurt, although Swallowing hurts
-Don't force any talking
-lots of hand washing can help keep it from spreading and keeping blisters covered if they do pop
-excuse the crankiness, they really dont want to be cranky

So you all enjoy a nice outing while we chill out here in the apartment waiting for the day we can explore again!

3 comments:

This Girl loves to Talk said...

oh dear! we thought it was erik not you that had it! not nice! It might be one of those things that are worse in adults than children. I get mouth ulcers alot and they are not fun, so I can imagine the pain. Hope you get better soon! Do you need an iceblock delivery???

The Moon's said...

Thanks for the offer, I luckily had some iceblocks already (that is what we call popsicles)but thanks so much for the offer. Also I think it's actually supposed to be milder in adults...well according to my internet research. So hopefully we will see you next week at playgroup...as long as no more illness runs through our house!

Jodi said...

You poor woman! I hope it passes quickly & you can enjoy life & food again soon:)