Sunday, June 17, 2012

Budha's birthday

 So I am a bit behind of catching up with our adventures but this was a really fun event that happened in April I think. Often when there are festivals or anything culturally its down at southbank right in the city. Last year when we moved we just missed this event and came the next day when all the paper lanterns were still up but nothing else and we were bummed to have missed it. So this year we went and had a great evening.
 Lindsay helping Erik bath the statue. Honestly I dont know enough about the religion to know exactly what everything was for. I just know you werent supposed to pour the water on the head and you were to do it 3 times.

All of the south bank area was littered with lanterns and lights and it looked pretty magical. And there were lots of colors and I felt a little bit like we were in Tangled (the movie) for a bit. Really cool.
 Erik and I made a donation to write down a wish and then rub Budha's belly for good luck and to make the wish come true. I think ours had something to do with babies? But its anyone's guess :)

 And of course there was food involved. You can see all the tents behind Erik and I lined up with different foods and things. In Budhism it's my understanding that they dont eat meat so all the vendors had vegetarian menus and it was asian cuisine it seemed and look authentic. Well other than our corn on the cob we chowed down. Erik and I could have this everynight with dinner I think. As a side note when we go to south bank on the weekends when the friday night markets are going on we usually have this as our treat, yummy!
 We bought a combo type meal for the fam for dinner not really knowing what we were getting. Below is the one thing I just couldnt bring myself to try. BUt Lindsay tried it and watch his reaction, I was busting up!



Not his favorite food, I take it!
We sat on a grassy area near the "Eye of Brisbane" Ferris wheel and enjoyed the sunset.

 NOw this was technically fall weather but really the only way you can tell is because I have a light sweater on. Obviously Lindsay and Erik were still fine at this point with the temp.

 Then we found where a local music school was doing free demonstrations for kids with percussion stuff. Erik being the music fiend that he is was all for it. And I think percussion suits him as he cant seem to keep tune very well but he can move his body to the beat great.
 If the location of the school wasnt so far from our house I would probably strongly consider getting him into classes, he loved it! Looked at how intent he was at trying to do it. The demo was a bit too fast paced for him, but he wanted to keep doing it!
We ended the evening with watching the traditional show of the dragon (the one with multiple people under it walking it around) and there were these lions and then some karate demonstrations. It was a great night. They do fireworks each night of the birthday celebration as well but we went home before that. We could hear them from our house but couldnt see them.

1 comment:

The Holden Family said...

the picture of you all together is adorable. :) looks like fun times!