Monday, July 4, 2011

I am proud to be an American

We celebrated the 4th of July a little differently this year. Last year we spent the weekend at our towns big festival watching the parade, walking around central park eating yummy food and seeing nothing but red, white, and blue, going to the base to eat more, go on carnival rides and then watch a big firework show while patriotic music filled the air at the air force base. This year we debated about what to do. Obviously it's not a holiday Australia celebrates and so Lindsay had to work and there would be no fireworks. There are two sets of missionary companions in our ward and they had no where to eat so we thought we would invite them over and get us motivated to put on an american shindig to the best of our abilities. Sunday we gathered our ideas and yesterday morning I ran aroudn the city trying to find what I would need.


We wore our Fourth of july tee shirts all day and found sparklers and root beer even. It was a score! I paid an arm and a leg for the root beer only then to have an Aussie friend tell me there are places I could have gotten it cheaper. Good to know for next time we want root beer floats. Only one set of missionaries ended up coming to dinner and neither are American. So it was fun to introduce some of our traditions with them. One is british and the other fijian and they got in the spirit by bringing wigs to wear to bring out some American spirit! I hadn't thought of it but as we asked them about their opinion of our traditions and the flavors of our foods we realized that root beer has a medecine taste to some people. I can see it now that it has been brought to my attention but had never thought of that. Interesting....I am ok with that. Here in Oz they have Ginger beer (sort of like Ginger ale but way different at the same time), I don't think it tastes like medicine but I am not a huge fan either, the ginger in it is very strong and I could see a newcomer to root beer feeling the same about our root beer.




I made chocolate covered strawberries with white chocolate and blue icing (I couldnt find blue sugar where I was shopping).






We used our nice chargers and you can't see it too much but I had small pieces of red vines wrapped with blue curlies. Red vines are my favorite treat and is a treat not sold here either. Luckily my birthday was a couple weeks ago and my mom shipped me some. I did find some at the specialty store here but will be treated as a delicacy along with the root beer.




Just some decor I put up to make the balcony seem festive (that's where our dining room is set up). Overall it was a lot of fun. I will admit I was a bit homesick during the day but it was fun that we got to start our own traditions and share them with others. We had chicken kebabs and baked chicken, pasta salad, corn on the cob, fruit salad (I actually bought the $10 small thing of blueberries for the occassion....yikes I know), and sparkling cider. Dessert was the strawberries and Root Beer Floats............Yumm!




Most of all I am proud to be an American. I am grateful that I come from a free country where I can worship any way I please, where I can raise my family any way I please and have rights. I am soooooo proud of those who fight for our freedom. Being a military wife I know how much social support is being a part of the military and can imagine that it is even more important for those fighting whether near or far that they need fellow American support as well. The military has opened many doors for our family and for that I am grateful but those doors haven't always opened easy and for other military families they don't get off nearly as easy as Lindsay and I have. My brother is just coming off his month long leave from his one year tour in Afghanistan. He had a wife waiting for him at home. The longest I have been apart from Lindsay is 3 months....I can't imagine doing that four times over. My heart goes out to both sides.




As a military wife you find yourself becoming very independant very quickly. You have to transition to being alone once they leave and then transition all over again when they come home and hand over some of the reigns again and adjust your routines. With a child it's a constant explaining knowing they dont have a clue and hoping they will respond warmly once the parent arrives back home. Erik has done well considering but there was one trip that he turned his head away from Lindsay and wouldn't look at him after Lin came home. I think it broke both our hearts. Luckily he warmed up quickly but it takes a toll.




On the flip side experiencing the military our entire marriage I have become much more patriotic than I ever imagined. I tear up often when I hear the national anthem and see videos of soldiers. I wish I could say I did more for our troops, I know they need it. But my heart goes out to them. I think of them often and am so grateful for them and their families.




I hope that as Erik gets older and starts to understand this world that he lives in that he will be as proud of his Dad as I am. Lindsay is already Erik's hero.....he mimicks EVERYTHING that Linds does and chooses him nearly every time over me. I am ok with that, I am proud that I have such an amazing man in my life to set the best example for our child of what it means to honor your country, your family, and your beliefs.




I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN (even when it's not always easy)

1 comment:

This Girl loves to Talk said...

you did awesome with one day notice!! what a shame the hundred americans in the ward didnt get together to celebrate! I love seeing red white and blue ideas as it is the same colour as the australian flag!! so you can just get out all the same stuff for Australia day in January :) though we often decorate in green and gold (australian colours)