Thursday, July 28, 2011

Aussie-isms

So living in Oz is so similar and sooo different. We speak the same language and yet we use such different vocabulary. I am just now starting to understand the accent on the phone without having to have the other person repeat themselves five times. Oh the joys of learning. I think my brain has made more new connections coming here than I have in the years combined since going to college (and that's been a while).

So some fun phrases and terms they use.....

- they do say g'day and often but not teamed up with mate like Americans always think.

-they don't say throw another shrimp on the barbie, although I do think they say barbie (I don't know if I am spelling that right).

-they shorten nearly everything they can in speech even though sometimes is just doesn't make since to Lindsay and me. Sometimes the word will still have the same amount of syllables. For example Brisbane is sometimes referred to as Brissy...same amount of syllables so technically not really shortened.

-they do however write out a ton of syllables in some words and pronounce them much differently. For example a couple suburbs over (basically a neighborhood is the closest things I can use to describe that) is named Indooroopilly. As americans when we got here we pronounced it phonetically (In-door-roo-pill-y), at church when I mentioned this suburb the woman I was talking with laughed at loud and had me say it over a few times because she thought it was funny. I humored her and then asked her to teach me the correct way (In-dra-pilly or In-drip-lee) Still not sure of the correct way as I have now heard Aussies say it both ways. But had she not taught me I don't even think I would have known what someone said if they mentioned it. Another is Mt. Omaney (I see that as said exactly as spelled Mt. Om-a-knee. Nope it's Mt. Om-knee.

-In a casual everyday setting most people say "ta" instead of thank you or thanks. That one blew by me until it was pointed out. I didnt even notice the word probably because it didn't register as a word in my mind until pointed out.

-McDonald's is called Macca's (not sure on that spelling either)

-Breakfast is brekky (just like in cars the movie)

-rubbish = trash, garbage

-op shop = thrift shop, although people will know what you mean if you say thrift shop

-fringe = bangs

- cheers = good bye

-nappie = diaper

-dummy = pacifier, binky

-morning or afternoon tea = morning or afternoon snack

- they tend to use this saying "____ as" like "big as" when they are describing some cool or really big, really cheap...."cheap as" they will put any description in. And the funny thing about this saying is still lindsay and I always do a double take because with the Aussie accent to us in sounds like swearing. So when the missionaries come over or something as use it I always chuckle to myself because it is a slang term I am still getting used to. But let me be clear, it's not swearing, it would be like saying "cheap as dirt" they just leave off the end, because they shorten everything.

-no worries is a common saying

-instead of saying "your welcome" they say "that's ok" most often although I have heard "no worries" as well. At first it threw me off because if I say thank you and you say that's ok it seemed like I was putting someone out a bit. But it's becoming more comfortable now and I realize it's a cultural thing.

The list is endless and I am sure I will think of a billion more as time goes on but for now, another glimpse into Oz

2 comments:

Cristin said...

I love it! I'm totally going to start saying "Big as!" It's like you're swearing, but you're not!

This Girl loves to Talk said...

the other one is heaps.. heaps cool, heaps crazy, love you heaps = big. Like a heap of something is a pile and therefore means alot of something :)

here are some more I found on another persons blog
fancy dress = costume (like Americans would wear on Halloween)
Runners=sneakers or tennis shoes
Togs/Swimmers = bathing suit
fringe=bangs
knackered = tired
pissed = drunk or angry
shattered = exhausted
tea=dinner
Dodgy (one of my personal favs) = can't be trusted
Gutted = utterly disappointed
jumper = sweatshirt or pullover
rubber=eraser
Bathroom = loo or toilet
Offer a ride somewhere = give you a lift

I believe TA is short for thanks alot (P think that's where it came from :)