Monday, March 21, 2011

There's a first time for everything

well I hope for some things, we never have a first. Quite honestly I am surprised with how rambunctious Erik can get that we havent had an emergency room visit yet. Although I probably just jinxed myself. Today however, the mischievious little booger created a first. You see, I learned long ago that whenever I have to seperated from Erik for any duration to keep my cell phone on me, like literally in my pocket. And I don't do this because of something he did but rather what I did...oh about a year ago. When our car was new to us and I didnt know all the safety features I quickly learned that the doors will automatically lock sometimes after a certain amount of time. I still haven't figured out the pattern to it, but needless to say I had set the keys on the front seat along with all my other stuff, buckled him into his car seat, shut the door, and proceeded to walk around the car to get in the drivers door. Well some time, panicking, and quick thinking later, along with a screaming child because I think he could tell his mother was panicking, I broke into my own car and all was well.

So on to todays fiasco. I ran outside real quick to take the trash can to the curb and shut the door behind me to keep Erik from following me because it's freezing out and was snowing (that's something I don't even want to get into) and he didn't have shoes on. So I ran out fast thinking "If I go fast enough, by the time Erik gets the door open and comes out he won't get nearly as far as if I just leave the door open." Well that sly little guy he locked me out. Now to his credit I don't think he realized that what he was doing, especially since opening doors is a fairly new skill of his. And I never imagined he would lock me out of the front door because our door knob doesn't have a lock - just a deadbolt above. So I thought I was safe because he couldn't reach. Shows how little faith I have in a determined 2 year old.

So I knock on the door and talk to him and ask him to open the door for me, and while he is giggling and trying to turn the knob to let me in.......I am freezing, wanting to laugh at myself for the dumb mommy mistake I just made and at the fact that he is such a silly sly guy, because he is giggling and come on who doesn't laugh when a toddler giggles, and trying not to panic because I know for a fact that all the rest of the doors to the house including windows are locked because I check them at night when we go to bed.

Long story short....after about 2 minutes which felt like 30 Erik was able to reach up and open the deadbolt for me and let me in. I think he was wondering why I wasn't coming in because he went to the front window to look at me. I tried to follow along and tell him to get a stool to bring over to stand on, but no such luck.

Mommy lesson learned....2 year old boys can do anything and thus bring them with you EVERYWHERE and hook them to your belt if you have to because they will find a way to be naughty without even meaning to : )

1 comment:

Cristin said...

I'm so happy he opened the door for you! Luke did the same thing to me when he was around that age, except he wouldn't open the door. I walked around to the back, banging on the sliding glass door and caught him sitting on the kitchen counter, eating cake with a steak knife. That is when I started freaking out and had a neighbor come over and break into my house for me.

Here's my post -

http://talesofanordinaryhousewife.blogspot.com/2008/03/locked-out.html

I still shudder thinking about the whole experience. Glad Erik let you back in!