Thursday, June 19, 2008

A quarter of a century and a splendid week!

All right so I think I am totally cursed with this computer and uploading pics. It isn't working right now but I should update for everyone anyways.


So first off, Tuesday was my birthday and I turned 25! It was so great. I don't feel any different but I must admit that through the past year or so I have been able to read a lot of books. And I find that when I read books I try to pick up on the wisdom of the characters and what they have to offer. I always try to relate to each character to gain insight about myself, life, etc. I know it sounds silly but I do feel like I have gained much knowledge from books. I just got done reading the book "Every Last Cuckoo" yesterday by Kate Maloy and it was so great. It is not a book that I would typically pick up to read but it was great. I borrowed it from the library and I am actually thinking about going and uying it so that I can read it again. It is about transitions in life, about an older woman who learns more about the relationships she has with her grown children, and those who she ends up taking into her home Extremely delightful!

So on Tuesday I knew that most people that I would want to do things with would be busy and the few that I tried to call I could not get a hold of. Now in years past I have just been internally sad that my birthday wasn't a huge thing like when I was a kid. But let me tell you this year I totally made my own day special and it totally rocked. There were fleeting moments when I had guilt that I brought on such a great birthday but they were far and few between and left quickly. You see that morning I got up with Lindsay as he got ready for work and got halfway ready, then I decided that I wanted to go back to bed, so I did. I slept for another hour or so and then got up and finished getting ready. I took Boomer on a walk and then decided that he should be my companion for the day (Lola has been staying with my cousin to see if him and his wife would like to adopt her), so I packed a book, and a blanket, and my wallet and we went trekking. We walked about a mile to a small cafe across from this beautiful park and ate lunch outside (they had a dog bowl of water and cara-beaner so Boomer could get hooked up) and then we went across the street to the park for a few hours. Then we walked home and enjoyed another short nap. It was so great!
I think some highlights of my life have been....
1. Being raised in a home where I was able to establish independance, self worth, and a testimony of the gospel.
2. Learning from different activities like competitive dancing, cheerleading, working while in school and paying for almost everything.
3. I loved that I was able to marry such a wonderful man that has loved me and supported me, listened to me, and made me laugh when I have been cranky! Thanks babe!
4.I have been able or had the opportunity to go on some pretty amazing trips (in my eyes, Oklahoma anyone?) where I could just let go of the world for a brief time.
5. I love that my friends and family accept me for the absolutely insanely goofy person that I can be. I love to make up new words and then call people them, I love to make up songs and sing them on the spot to those closest to me, I love to dance around like a goombah!
6. I love that my creativity has always been supported and inpsired. My family and friends have never squashed that burning fire in me!
So those are just a few things.....onto the next show......Adoption update.....
The Birthparent's social worker is not the greatest lady. I hate to be rude or say bad things about her but she is the one holding everything up and may be the one to squash this opportunity. She will not return mine or our social workers's calls and doesn't really support the birth parents in their decision. She is gunning for the Foster family to adopt this child. Which I support if that is truly where she should be, but she has thus far not even been open into looking into Lindsay and I. It is very frustrating. And the Birth parents are willing to be compliant and sign away rights and everthing if their daughter can come to us, but the social worker still wont budge. I think that we are going to file a complaint with her supervisor here soon to see if we can get their social worker changed. I dont understand why if you have a set of both birth Parents saying that they will willingly place their child into a home where the couple is already approved through the state that they would not jump on that. It would take out court involvement that would otherwise happen. Aaarrghhh!
So not to sound to bitter but this experience is totally a toss up! It could totally swing one way or another and we dont really know where we stand right now.
That is the biggest news in the Moon Family. Hope you all are having a splendid week as well!

4 comments:

Jill said...

We sure have alot in common!!
Sounds like you had a refreshing day. Happy birthday! I swear, about 10 of my blogging friends had bdays this week too. Busy time! How did the jewelry party go!!??
Sorry to hear about the drama with the adoption stuff. It's always a rollercoaster!!!! Enjoy the ride. I hope it's a good one for you though :) Just hang on tight!

chelsea mckell said...

ohmy... that day of dogwalking and park visiting and napping sounds absolutely dreamy.
And I am having trouble uploading pics too. I think Blogger hates me. Or at least my Mac. I can upload at my husbands office comp, but not at home with my Mac. I get some funky error message.
Hey - did you know Kim Gast (now Kim Waldron)? She was in my ward at went to MSHS. She just adopted a few months ago, but had quite the bumpy road along the way. She even had one fall through when they were AT the hospital, nearly all papers signed... anyways, if you know her, maybe you should get her insight. Although Im sure youve probably already talked to a lot of people.
Anyways - great update, loved it!

Unknown said...

Sommer, I was thinking about you on your birthday and I'd glad that it was so relaxing! And I'm sorry about all of the adoption frustrations, you have a right to be frustrated. We are praying for you and hope that everything goes smoothly. You will be a great mommy, I wish you the best. Thanks for the update! Rachel

Anonymous said...

I haven't checked you blog in a while so I had to catch up. I had no idea that anyone had called you about a baby! That lady holding things up needs to get with the program. Argh, so frustrating. I expect to hear an update next time I see you. :P