Monday, September 1, 2008

...Climbing out of the Abyss



All right kids I think I am back in action and update like a regular now! We are settled for the most part into our new house, which rocks by the way! We got internet a week or so ago so I have connection at home and found the cords I need for my camera! Sweet I tell you.

Well I am sad to say I haven't taken as many pics as I would like but I've got some to show you!And there is way too much to catch up on so let me give you some highlights of the last few months!
We got to see our best friends (Linds' brother and wife) for a day while they were vacationing in San Diego which was awesome! This was Haley showing how cool the speedo is on men, which there are plenty of down here! I am not dissing, I dig on certain body types but those don't come by very often.



Lindsay and I all wind swept and sun dried


This was Boomer and Lindsay waiting to watch the mountain festival parade. It was not as good as Spokane parades but still fun to celebrate with our town!




The boys who had perma-grin the entire time they were together! They even went to "Jamba Juice" and were going to be back "soon" and a half an hour later us girls were walking across a highway to find where they were at in the shopping center so that we could leave and they were finishing up at TJ Maxx, what dorks. Shouldn't it have been the other way around? Love them sweet boys!


This was up at the mountain by our house we had a bbq with a friend who was camping up there. So much fun! We are planning our next backpacking trip and we cant decide where to go. We do have a couple of sweet hot spring options that we think we might do in the fall. They are quite far and we haven't done a trip this year so we need to get into shape for them!



The boys lounging in one of the hotel rooms that we stayed in on our drive down to Cali! Poor Boom- I don't think he liked the trip much, being stuck in the back seat of our sedan. Oh well! We'll find a dog park soon hopefully!

Today is Labor day and Lindsay went golfing with someone from the ward and So I went out to our nifty Nectarine tree that is in our back yard (yep, you heard me, my own nectarine tree-sweet sweet heaven) and pick some ripe ones. As we speak I've got my dehydrator making some nectarine/pineapple fruit leather and dried nectarines, I can't wait to see how it all turns out. The people who lived in our house before us didn't like the fruit and didn't know how to take care of the tree. Thus this year we got lots of nectarines but they are all pretty small. I looked up how to take care of the tree for next year and I think I can make it so that we will get a bit less but much bigger fruit, I can't wait!


This whole domestic wife thing has been fun I must tell you! Yeah sometimes I get bored and nobody tells me good job on this or good job on that but I am learning many things and am glad to have the time. I have been going back and forth lately with going back to work but this time has been great and there is still so much I want to learn. I feel fortunate that I can stay home and learn all of these things before the kids come along so I can be in more of a habit then.


A few weeks back I made flat bread that we grilled into pizzas, it was great! And soon I think I might tackle some basic sewing!


Our house is Spokane finally sold and we closed on it this last week-Finally! We lost a bunch of money-stupid economy but it is such a relief to not have to worry about two mortgages and two sets of utility bills any more! Right now we only have one car because we sold our other one when we left and it has been hard sometimes because lindsay commutes to work with it, but it has been a blessing to. I have been forced to walk and ride my bike around and it has been great to keep my body in shape. Its not a hard workout but its nice. The hard part is grocery shopping that waits for the evenings which usually means more people, but I have enjoyed riding my bike.


Lindsay and Boomer took a spill on my bike last week and poor guys both got skinned knees and knuckles, but I think Boomer learned his lesson (he ran in front of the bike and Lindsay flew over the handle bars. Luckily both were ok, Boomer doesnt run in front of the bike now, and Linds took me to REI this weekend (we made a special trip-it was cool to drive and see a real store) so we could get it fixed.


So we are getting used to the slower paced life here. It's been nice to live more simple, Lindsay has even been cooking more (I think it helps since we don't eat out as much that we have more groceries) and yesterday I quote said "I'm likin' this cookin' thing" isn't that spectacular. I totally reinforced that one as much as I could! We don't get to go do as many things since most businesses close around six but there is a hippy type feminist coffee shop that stays open late and has bands play and open mic nights and things that we go to for date night. That has been fun and there is a weekly Farmers Market that is pretty small but also fun to go checkout.


Well that is the Our life! Cant wait to get back in touch with everyone!


9 comments:

Cassie said...

I am glad you guys are all settled in, sounds like you have had a fun little break! You look super cute in the pic with your sunglasses! Mitch is always golfing, I swear anytime he has a day off of school!! Good to hear from ya!

Woodrich Family said...

I'm so glad to hear that things are so great! We have really been wondering how things were going for you. I think you'll be glad to spend sometime at home before kids come. I think it would have been nice to have good routines and stuff without work involved. I'm so happy for you!

Jarom & Corinne said...

Sounds like you guys are having fun! We miss you and wish we could see you guys sometime!!! Enjoy being a stay at home wife, I love it when your biggest worry is what to cook today! :)

Unknown said...

yea, pictures! I'm glad that you are all settled in and I'm jealous of the nectarine tree. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Kasey said...

It sounds like you're settling in and liking it which is great. I vote more pics (house, you being the cute girl you are). I'm glad you're back to the blogging - I've missed the Sommer updates. Love ya!

chelsea mckell said...

ditto to what rachel said - Im super jealous of the nectarine tree. Our former neighbors had one, and they were also small, but I made fruit leather with them in our dehydrator and it was incredible! The hardest part is actually saving the leather for later... I tend to peel it right off the dehydrator and into my mouth...
:)
Anyways - fun update! Cant wait to hear where you decide to take your next vacation (enjoy those while they last!)

Jon and Maryanne said...

Hi Sommer!
I got your blog address off of Eleasha Brown's. I saw and talked to Lindsey's mom at Brandon Plaster's wedding open house and she told me you guys were moving down to California! Also, my husband and I are in the same ward as Nathan and his little family and Alex and Haley! Small world eh?! :) I'm so happy you and Lindsey are doing good! Hope you transition continues to go well! Keep in touch! You can check out our blog too if you want! :)

Backwoods Browns said...

Glad everything is coming together there! I love the weather there! Maybe because this summer up here is so mild and well....pretty much gone now! You are till cute as ever and I hope that you found someone good there to do your hair :) That was the last time I saw you. It was in your apartment on the lower S Hill and I think I was pregnant with Jarrin, my first. So WOW that was about 5 almost 6 years ago! Well stay biking;) It's good for you!! And keep up that cooking!You'll be a master chef soon :)

Jill said...

You guys are so dang cute!! It's fun to hear about your life, and what's going on. "Enjoy every moment!!"