Monday, May 31, 2010

Today is a day of Remembrance

Today we celebrate those who have risked and lost their lives for our freedoms and protection. Without these brave men and women we would not have the priveleges we have today.




As a military wife I am very patriotic about soldiers. My husband corrects me when I call him a soldier because technically he is an "airman" but anyone who serves in any branch of the military is a soldier in my eyes. Lindsay and I both have many family members who have or are serving in our military and my heart bursts with pride for them! Even Erik's birth families are linked into branches of the military, it encompasses us.


Sometimes I have friends and family tell me that they could never do it, that would not be as strong as I am to have my husband gone so much, etc. Well I am not saying it easy or that I am overjoyed to have him leave me......sometimes I grumble, but what an honor to be married to a hero. What an example he sets for our family in his loyalty and honor in his mission. I know Erik does and will continue to view him as his personal hero. Whenever I see Lindsay in his uniform (okay so that is everyday) and especially when we go out in public, I feel so proud. He is such a humble man and does not like to go out in uniform or draw that attention to himself in any regard. He has more than a box full of awards with more that he wasn't given plaques or statues for that he will not let me put up in the house. When we first moved I thought I was being a sweet wife by putting up all the plaques on our guest room wall, oh no.......he had me take it all down the same day. He may not be on the front lines, but he is in a critical position to help the Air force.

(as a marine)

My younger brother Ryan was a marine and is now in the army. He leaves this week for a LONG deployment to Afghanistan leaving a wife at home. This is his longest and 3rd tour over to the "sandbox." I pray for him. I have seen the immediate effects war has on the front line soldiers. I have seen him go from fun seeking 18 year old to fun loving but yet deeply changed man. You know what his number one request is in his care packages? Baby wipes. These men rarely get showers, they have to burn their own waste and they risk their lives every second they are over there. It's no wonder PTSD is so common. But the sad thing is so few get treatment for it because it can affect their career.


I hope and pray for his safe return home with a heart beat........please pray for our service men and women. They need the comfort and support, no matter what they do in the military! Today Lindsay and I hosted a bbq and it was fun. I wanted to sneak in Lindsay's awards all over, but knew he would have nothing of it. Instead I made sure to make festive decorations to go along and we said a prayer that was in memory of those who have lost their lives in service. Did you know Red Poppy flowers are a symbol for Memorial Day? Just thought I would let you know!

Love,
Som

1 comment:

Backwoods Browns said...

It's a tough life being a soldier! I am so grateful for all those who risk their lives for me and I am continually in shock of people who don't support them. It is becuase of war that we have a free country and has kept it that way! Thank you american soldiers!!